Running an online store with Etsy is a great way to start your business, but when it comes time to expand your online presence, starting your own online store should be next on your list. We'll give you the step-by-step walkthrough of how to turn your Etsy shop into your own online store. From importing your products to spreading the word about your new store, we've got you covered.
Here's what you’ll learn:
- Why it's beneficial for your business to start a standalone ecommerce store in addition to marketplace profiles like Etsy.
- A step-by-step process for transferring your business successfully from Etsy to an online storefront.
- How to direct traffic and sales from your Etsy Shop to your standalone store to reduce the amount paid in seller's fees.
- How to utilize social media and marketing tactics to successfully market your store and get noticed by potential customers.
It’s Time to Make Your Business Your Own
As a founder and entrepreneur, it's important to consider the future success of your online store. Running your business solely on the Etsy platform can eventually stunt your store’s growth. You'll be fully dependent on Etsy to run your business - not only do they charge high fees and limit your design options, but they can raise transaction or payment processing fees at any time (as we've seen with eBay). The best way to future proof your online store is by creating something that you own and have full control over - your very own website.
Transitioning Your Etsy Shop to Volusion
Make sure your product catalog is up-to-date
If your Etsy shop is not up to date, you'll need to make the changes necessary to avoid having to make additional updates once you import your products to the Volusion platform. Fixing any existing issues before you start the transition process will keep you from having to do double work.
These updates may include:
- Product pricing
- Image quality and size
- Product descriptions
- Shipping details and additional options
After you're sure that your product catalog is clean and up-to-date, we'll need to download a list of all of your products, prices, etc. from Etsy so that we can upload it into your new online store:
Create a CSV File on Etsy
- Shop Manager > Settings > Download Data > Download CSV
- Import your data to Volusion using this CSV file
You’re Ready to Import!
- This Help Center article is a great resource to assist you when importing your Etsy shop into your Volusion store - it only takes a few clicks! If you're using a different ecommerce platform, search their internal help documentation for bulk product upload instructions.
- Our “Go-Live Checklist” is a great source of guidance too. When transitioning over, you can skim through this checklist to be sure you don't forget any crucial steps!
Start Seeing Traffic and Sales from Your Etsy Shop: Transition to Your Volusion Store
There are quick and easy updates you can make to your Etsy shop that will notify your customers of your new ecommerce store. You can get them excited about the transition by offering incentives! Ultimately, you want to give them a reason as to why they should shop your new store rather than continuing to shop on Etsy. Below are some tips & tricks you can start with that will aid in a smoother transition.
Access Your Etsy Shop Analytics
- Navigate to: Your Etsy Account > Shop Manager > Stats > Traffic Sources
- What drives the most visitors to your shop? Are they directly finding you through Etsy, through an external search or through a social media outlet?
- It's important to see where your customers are coming from so you can implement marketing tactics on your social media accounts.
Update Your Message to Buyers
This is a message included on receipt pages and is in the email that buyers receive when they purchase from your shop.
- Include the URL and a message about your new website.
- You can offer a discount or an incentive with a call to action.
For example: “Visit us at our NEW website and receive a 15% discount on your first order. Use code FIFTEEN at www.MyVolusionStore.com. Shop today!”
- Update your “Shop Announcement” with a short blurb about your new website and upcoming transition.
Offer a Discount
Every time you ship an order to one of your Etsy customers, you can insert a business card or a coupon encouraging them to bypass your Etsy shop to buy from your store directly. Repeat customers will naturally navigate to your store rather than going back to purchase from your Etsy shop. In the long run, this will help to decrease the amount of transaction fees you’d have to pay to Etsy.
Updating Your Social Pages and Implementing Marketing Tactics
It's common behavior for Etsy shoppers to find many shops through social media or external outlets. To see which outlets your customers are using to find your business, look into your Etsy statistics and assess your most popular traffic sources. You will be able to narrow it down and focus your efforts on those specific media outlets to ultimately revert traffic to your Volusion store.
- Updating the direct link from a product pin to your product page on your Volusion store, will be a clean transition and will bring visitors to the exact product page where they can make a purchase. This tactic will also avoid an increased bounce rate.
- Updating purchase links directing your visitors to your Volusion store, will aid in traffic and sales transitioning to your store from Etsy.
- For future pinning, pin directly from your Volusion store. Enable Pinterest in the admin area of your store and pin directly from your product’s product page.
- Update your “About” section on your page to include contact information and your new Volusion store URL.
- Post about the new transition to create buzz around the new site leading up to the launch. This will notify your followers and get them excited.
- All posts should include your domain name and should be linked to your Volusion store. If you need help coming up with business or domain names, check out our business name generator or our Etsy shop name generator tools.
- Take advantage of the Instagram business platform. The platform displays a professional look and categorizes your Instagram feed as a business.
- Link all product posts to your Volusion store.
- Include your store URL in the “bio” section. You can also include an incentive as to why they should shop your store. (Free shipping, discounts, new deals, etc.)
- Create buzz through posts and stories about the upcoming store launch.
- Use hashtags that you think are being searched by visitors who would be interested in your products.
In a few easy steps, you can transition your Etsy shop to build your very own Volusion store and take your business to new heights.
Volusion provides the opportunity to expand your business and easily build and promote your online store. Don’t forget about all the amazing benefits there are when you are a part of the Volusion family! Our 24/7 Support Team is here to assist you during this transition. Not to mention, our online Help Center is filled with an indispensable amount of resources such as articles and training videos.
Talk with an expert today to learn more about design and marketing tactics to gain an edge over your competition!
Have any questions about transitioning from Etsy? Let us know in the comments!